Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Place Fell

looking back from the first climb up to Boredale Hause.  Brothers Water is on the left (to the left of the woods).  My car is parked near here.  Hartsop above How is the peak above the woods with St Sunday Crag on the right although both are disapearing into the clouds at this point.  Hartsop Dodd is to the right of Brotherswater.  The track visible from the centre of the picture going off to the mid right takes you to the A592 (main Glenridding road).  It curves around below those trees on Hartsop above Howe.  I followed a track at the start of the trees, thinking it might cut the elbow off the road but it seemed to be carrying on up to the tops so I turned off to drop steeply through the woods.

A midweek day off is a strategy I like to employ.  It breaks the week up easily and by Wednesday I've recovered sufficiently from weekend exploits to have a decent day out.  The forecast for today wasn't great so I planned a lowish level trail run around the Ullswater area.  My original plan was to go over Boredale Hause and into Boredale but the skies cleared a bit and I was having fun so I decided to head for Place Fell.  I cut off the path and climbed steeply up to Round How (which I'll admit, I thought was the summit) from Round How summit, I saw the distinct trig point on the summit of Place Fell across the way a little.  I headed over, the path was covered in a lot of snow so I had to find an alternative.  The snow was very deep in parts, particularly coming off Place Fell over to Low Moss.  I took a left at Low Moss, skirting in front of High Dodd on a nice track along the side of Scalehow Beck.  This joined up with the shoreline path along Ullswater which I followed back to Side Farm and on, cutting across to Deepdale Bridge before taking the little detour up through and back down through the woods to the car park.


looking back from the steep climb up to Round How.  Beda Fell directly across and the same Hartsop Fells and others visible on the right.  High Street ridge will be at the back.  Clearing up a bit eh?

Place Fell summit (the one on the right) from Round How

Place Fell summit, looking over towards High Street at the back.  It looks like The Nab in the middle

this got a bit tiring after a while

back on the shoreline track.  A good run

from my little woodland wander looking back to Place Fell

1 comment:

  1. That's a good run with some wonderful views. We were once treated to a beautiful cloud inversion while running over Place fell. Also, once did a fast evening run up and down from Side Farm campsite. Campers must have heard me rattling down the final stones and erupted into applause as I climbed the wall back into the site. A bit embarrassing!
    Keep running - and blogging.

    ReplyDelete