Sunday, May 26, 2013

Wansfell

from the summit of Wansfell looking back to Wansfell Pike and Windermere

route map

The inlaws are over again.  We planned a big family meet up at Brockhole today.  Thinking my extended family would take themselves some time to organise, I set off early and squeezed in a Wainwright.  I parked in Ambleside then headed up the road by Stock Ghyll until I saw the obvious path up to Wansfell Pike.  From here I crossed the ridge along the side of the wall until I got to the true summit.  I spoke to someone on Wansfell Pike who said that it must be annoying for walkers who think that Wansfell Pike is the Wainwright summit.  Luckily, I had consulted A.W. prior to my journey who advised that:

"...at the south-west extremity of the ridge there is a rocky bluff known as Wansfell Pike, which is commonly but incorrectly regarded as the top of the fell."

steep and hot climb to Wansfell Pike

up on Wansfell Pike

the continuation along the wall to the Wainwright summit.  That must be Frostwick and Ill Bell on the horizon
 
back to Wansfell Pike and Windermere

The summit, also known as Baystones.  There's a few Wainwrights in that direction that need bagging...

From the summit, I found my way over to the road and headed back down the same way before meeting with the fam at Brockhole.  Very hot today, tomorrow is a bank holiday but the forecast is not good.  I'll keep my options open.

No comments:

Post a Comment