Thursday, August 16, 2012

A bit of Wrynose - Yet More Cycling Progress


Not far in terms of distance but another notch on the Lakeland Passes post.  This time it was an attack on Wrynose Pass from Great Langdale, coming back through Elterwater and around Grasmere.  Here is the full route including elevation data:


the steep bit
from the top cattle grid
Here is a better view of the section of road with the switchbacks, this is looking from near the Old Dungeon Gill Hotel
This section of road is immediately steep, at about 25% from the bottom cattle grid.  It didn't seem as hard as Honister from Buttermere and I'm not sure why this was because it was definitely a longer stretch of very steep road where as Honister has some undulation.  The switchbacks are great fun (maybe these make it easier).  It is possible, of course, that I am getting better at going up hills.

Down the other side and a slight mishap where I ran into the side of the road.  I needed to brake but saw a lot of gravel in the middle of the road and didn't want to use my brakes at this point and ended up overshooting a corner.  All ok and carried on, stopping in Elterwater for a pint.  I can recommend the Britannia Inn for a pint, although not sure if it's a good idea when you still have a way to go.  I took the secret steep road up to Loughrigg Tarn and round behind Grasmere before taking the coffin road past the Wordsworth museum and back to the car.

A really nice bike ride and I am now looking for a good day now to make an attempt on Hardknott Pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment